It's quite common to observe kids sucking their thumbs and many parents don't give it another thought. Many parents encourage it since it will soothe and comfort a child who's angry or irritated.
But responsible parents understand they must take action to receive their kid to stop thumb sucking instantly.
This habit could make the child seem very agreeable but it could lead to long-term issues for your kid. These issues include:
1. Cosmetic issues: Prolonged sucking a thumb (or some other finger) can change the form of your mouth and cause the teeth to develop crooked. You can also buy the hand stopper thumb guard via Amazon.com.au.
2. Protruding teeth: Children who suck their thumbs often have protruding teeth. They are certain to need orthodontic work in their teeth once they develop these teeth.
3. Skin Irritation on the thumb: Your skin may also peel off and this may be quite painful for your kid. Oftentimes, the fingernail also develops crooked due to disease caused by thumb sucking.
4. Ingesting parasites: Children who always have their thumbs in their own mouth are at greater risk of getting worms and other parasites in their bodies compared to kids who keep their hands from their mouths. This is quite definitely an unhygienic habit.
5. Teasing by other children: Kids who suck their thumb at the ages of 6 and 5 are inclined to get teased and bullied by other children for being 'infants'. This may drive them to require the thumb even more for relaxation.